HIV Testing Options
Better2Know offer a two HIV testing options throughout India. The choice of test will depend on the length of time between your concerning exposure, or your personal preference.
HIV, like most STIs, can only be accurately detected at certain times after exposure. The time between the exposure and accurate detection is known as the "window" or "incubation" period. Your HIV test can detect the virus at different incubation periods:
10 Day HIV RNA PCR Test
Our 10 Day HIV test that detects for exposures that occurred more than 10 days ago. It tests for the presence of the viral genetic material. It is a very accurate test using PCR techniques to help to detect the HIV virus itself.
28 Day HIV DUO Test
Our 28 Day HIV Test is a fourth generation HIV test. It tests for HIV for exposures that occurred more than 28 days ago. This is a fourth generation HIV test, meaning it tests for HIV 1 and HIV 2 antibodies and P24 antigens.
90 Day HIV Antibody Test
An HIV test that detects for exposures that occurred more than 3 months ago. This is a third generation HIV test, meaning it only tests for HIV antibodies. Better2Know no longer offers the 90 day test as the 28 day test does everything the 90 day test does. You only need to wait 28 days after exposure to have the test, giving you added peace of mind.
This 90 Day test is the standard test offered by many sexual health clinics. Antibodies are produced by the body in response to disease. If you have been infected with HIV, your body will produce antibodies to try to fight the infection. These antibodies can be detected through testing after 3 months, by the means of a blood sample.
HIV Testing Clinics near you
Better2Knows nearest HIV Testing clinic can be found by searching on the link. We have hundreds of locations across India. The bigger cities we serve are:
The Advantages of Choosing Better2Know
- Always 100% Confidential. Your results are never be shared without your consent, and you do not have to give us your real name, if you do not wish to.
- Fast Results. Results are available 1 to 5 days once your sample is received at our laboratory. HIV test results will be available on the same day your sample is received at our laboratory.
- Locations. We have testing locations across India, so you do not have to travel far to be tested at one of our locations.
- Facilities. Our facilities are modern and clean. Non-Judgmental. Our staff are friendly and non-judgmental, and provide you with all the support you need.
How do I get HIV
HIV is transmitted from someone who already has HIV to another person by any body fluid to body fluid contact. This includes sexual intercourse (vaginal and anal) as well as non-sexual ways such as sharing needles and from mother to child.
You can read more about HIV transmission here.
Symptoms of HIV
Most people with HIV do not have any symptoms in the early stages of infection. The only way to know is to get tested. Read more about HIV Symptoms here.
HIV Statistics in India
Here are the most recent statistics about HIV in India:
- The first case of HIV in India was identified in 1986
- Since the first India case HIV has been found in all states
- The South and North-East of India have the highest number of new cases of HIV
- Manipur has the highest prevalence of HIV
- Around 3 in every 1000 people know that they have HIV in India
- The undiagnosed population is expected to be higher
- Injecting drug users and female sex workers have the highest prevalence in India
- It is thought 2.39 million people are living with HIV in India
For more information please visit the Avert Website.
How a Better2Know test can make a difference
The earlier that HIV is diagnosed the less chance there is that you will pass the virus to others. This shows the importance of having a test regularly. At Better2Know we believe in the normalisation of HIV and STI testing in the hope of removing any associated stigmas.
Better2Know supports a number of National and International HIV and AIDS charities to help the fight against HIV and to help medical advances.